27 February 2008

On the beach with your truck?? Only in Florida!

I am always up for a challenge, right? Well, when I was asked to do a surfer cake with waves and the recipient's name in the sand, I thought, "Sure. Why not?" I could have left it at that. But NO... I had to keep pushing, right?

Well, hello Toyota Tundra. It was a challenge all right! I built a custom stand so that the truck would be elevated. I should have known that cake decorating is my forte. Not woodworking. I had to change it 3 times.
The cake was chocolate butter with Bavarian Bailey's Irish Cream filling, a whiskey simple syrup mist, covered in Italian meringue buttercream. The fondant was sweating from the humidity and coming out of the fridge. Tip: Don't put fondant in the fridge. The waves were an experiment with aluminum foil, royal icing and piping gel which turned out really great. The sand was made from graham cracker crust.
My client was SO happy and couldn't wait to see it. She said it was one of the most exciting things in her life. Again, that is why I love what I do!

No comments: