30 July 2008

DB: Filbert Gateau with Praline Buttercream


Today is the day to unleash my very first Daring Baker's Challenge. And oh boy, it was certainly JUST that. Geez....

Our challenge this month was chosen by fellow DB'er Chris from Mele Cotte. The challenge was to create a lovely Filbert Gateau (CRAPteau) with Praline Buttercream. As Fancy Nancy would say," That's French for a cake that will literally drive you to the brink of insanity. Because EVERYTHING in French sounds SO fancy." WHATEVER.....

When I first saw the challenge I thought it would be a piece of cake (Pun WAS intended...) OMG... I have had better days laying in a dentist chair, waiting to have 4 wisdom teeth pulled out!! For real... I mean, come on, you guys. I bake ALL of the time! This little piece of fancy schmancy gateau and I were going to duke it out. I completely screwed up the first batch by forgetting to add the vanilla and lemon. (My attention was being diverted to the Blue's Clues marathon...) SO, I had to start all over... *UGH* Then, as I was putting on the ganache, it was too runny. I know ganache. We used to be good friends back in the day. NOT today. Had to make that twice. *URGH* Keep in mind, this is a 6" cake! A 6" miserable CAKE!

Here is the inside of my Crapteau. I sliced it nicely, just for the camera. It's lucky I didn't stab it!




And a very nice slice, before I devoured it. That's right... For ALL of my hard work...

OK, I feel much better now that I got that off of my "A Cups". I DO have to say that it was very good. AND overall, it is SUPPOSED to be a challenge. It is an honor to belong to this group. I am happy to be experimenting with different types to baking techniques and expanding my knoweldge. I am sure, next month, we will be making something ABSOLUTELY insane... Check out Chris's blog, Mele Cotte for the 900 page recipe, if you DARE!!

Until next time...

Miss P

21 comments:

Olga said...

lol: my thoughts exactly on the 900 page recipe! Love how you used some color in your decorations.

p.s. cute blog name!

Veron said...

I love that you have some color on your cake and very pretty too. Your layers are so perfect!

Chelle said...

Congratulations on your first challenge! For all of the trouble it gave you, it looks absolutely fantastic!

Ann said...

Lovde the way your ganache is so perfectly smooth!

Rigby said...

This cake was quite a challenge--I had an interesting time making this as well. Your finished cake is stunning! It turned out well.

Leslie said...

OMG..you had me rolling laughing!
I love your Crapteau..it is PERFECT. How the hell did you get your sides smooth? DOnt tell me you did a thing buttercream crum coat??!! I did that and it didnt do a damn bit of good for my cake!!
Bravo to you! Now go back to watching Blues Clues..I have to go finish my episode of Yo Gabba Gabba!

sleepingbearinthekitchen said...

LOL, I love how you so "kindly" stated that this was one Biotch of a challenge, it had many moments!!!! I am also very very envious of how glasslike your ganache looks, I don't get that good of a shine on my car after 4 hours of waxing that thing!!! Wonderful job!!!!

Jacque said...

That is such a great looking cake! Wish I'd have used a smaller pan... 10" was too short and squat.

Welcome to DB!!

Jodie said...

wow, this looks great!

Sandie said...

Good job on your first challenge, your cake looks great!

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

That looks so awesome! Wow! I am just in awe of how perfect all your layers are. What a great first challenge! Welcome to the group!

KJ said...

LOL - crapteau. Love it. And I love this cake too. For all your tribulations it looks great

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Your ganache coating looks perfect!

Cindy Ruth said...

Your cake is beautiful! You'd never know there were any problems at all. Great decorations.

Cakelaw said...

Your cake is just gorgeous! I don't know how you got those beautiful mirror shiny & smooth sides, but they are stunning.

Ma Baker said...

That is an amazing looking crapteau. You did a fantastic job.

Dhanggit said...

can i have a slice please?? this is one beautiful filbert cake!! i love it!

Clumbsy Cookie said...

Wow your cake is stunning! I love it, what a great first challenge! Perfect ganache!

Lauren said...

Ooo! Your cake is absolutely beautiful. The decoration on the top is so sweet! I love it!

Deborah said...

That is the smoothest ganache I've seen out of all of the posts I've read! I would have never guessed you had issues - it looks absolutely perfect!

wmpe said...

Your ganache glaze is superb - shiny deluxe! Your cake looks great and such perfectly even layers! Wendy