4-inch lollipop sticks
Granny Smith OR Red Delicious apples (one apple makes about 8 mini apples)
3 oz. Peanut butter chips
Nonpareils OR sprinkles
Empty egg carton
- Cut the lollipop sticks in half at an angle (the pointy end will go into the apple pieces easier).
- Combine the peanut butter chips and shortening in a small bowl. (DO NOT use caramel. Due to the moisture of the exposed apple, it will NOT stick!!) Heat chips in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted. Set aside to cool down, about 10 minutes.
- Scoop a ball out of the apple with the melon baller, exposing a section of apple peel. Work ONLY one ball at a time, to prevent the yucky browning. (See below!)
- Push half of a lollipop stick into the peel of the ball.
- Pat the apple dry with a paper towel.
- Dip and swirl the mini apples in the melted chips, covering the exposed apple completely, leaving only the peel showing. Set aside standing on a plate for 5 minutes.
- Roll the apple in sprinkles or nonpareils. Let stand for 15 minutes to harden.
- Place the mini "Caramel " apples in an empty egg carton and place in the fridge.
WARNING: These are very fun to make and very delicious. (Thanks goodness their small....) I was eating them as fast as I was making them.
BTW: You could also use lemon juice to prevent the browning, if you wanted to make a whole bunch at a time. I didn't want the lemon to interfere with the taste of the apple. AND after biting into them repeatedly, there was NO browning underneath the melted chip coating. I even ate them cold, right out of the fridge.