01 October 2008

Itty Bitty "Caramel" Apples


October is here! It is, by far, my FAVORITE month of the year. My kids are starting to talk about their Halloween costumes. The weather even starts to cool down to the mid-80's here in Florida! (*burr*) The thoughts of fall brought me back to my youth, growing up in Jersey, when the leaves were changing and the air was crisp, visiting the apple orchard and trick or treating with a turtleneck and jeans under our costumes.


With the spirit of fall in mind, I wanted to do something that was cute and fun. I remembered the Martha Stewart Show featuring fellow blogger Bakerella, where she was demonstrating how to make her adorable "Cupcake Pops" .


Why not mini apples? I GOOGLED it and, of course, there it was! Family Fun had beat me to it. Ya know, what the heck! Can't I have a clever idea? I want to be on Martha! (*wah*) I began reading the horrible reviews their recipe had received. So, I started to play with it and came up with my own version.


RECIPE INGREDIENTS:
4-inch lollipop sticks
Melon baller
Granny Smith OR Red Delicious apples (one apple makes about 8 mini apples)
3 oz. Peanut butter chips
2 tsp. shortening
Paper towels
Nonpareils OR sprinkles
Empty egg carton
  1. Cut the lollipop sticks in half at an angle (the pointy end will go into the apple pieces easier).
  2. Combine the peanut butter chips and shortening in a small bowl. (DO NOT use caramel. Due to the moisture of the exposed apple, it will NOT stick!!) Heat chips in the microwave 30 seconds at a time until melted. Set aside to cool down, about 10 minutes.
  3. Scoop a ball out of the apple with the melon baller, exposing a section of apple peel. Work ONLY one ball at a time, to prevent the yucky browning. (See below!)
  4. Push half of a lollipop stick into the peel of the ball.
  5. Pat the apple dry with a paper towel.
  6. Dip and swirl the mini apples in the melted chips, covering the exposed apple completely, leaving only the peel showing. Set aside standing on a plate for 5 minutes.
  7. Roll the apple in sprinkles or nonpareils. Let stand for 15 minutes to harden.
  8. Place the mini "Caramel " apples in an empty egg carton and place in the fridge.

WARNING: These are very fun to make and very delicious. (Thanks goodness their small....) I was eating them as fast as I was making them.

BTW: You could also use lemon juice to prevent the browning, if you wanted to make a whole bunch at a time. I didn't want the lemon to interfere with the taste of the apple. AND after biting into them repeatedly, there was NO browning underneath the melted chip coating. I even ate them cold, right out of the fridge.

Enjoy!

Miss P

16 comments:

Snooky doodle said...

These look really fun to make and they re so cute. Quite healthy too :)

Cakebrain said...

Wow, these look fantastic! I saw a version of these on an Iron Chefs America show recently. They made a sugar caramel and dipped the little apple balls into the caramel. Yours look like they'd be good treats at a Hallowe'en party! The sprinkles are a nice touch!

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Aww what a terrific idea!! Perfect for Halloween parties! :D

Tracey said...

I love caramel apples and yours look great! I'm definitely bookmarking this one!

Jodie said...

Cute idea! I LOVE carmel apples. I was showing my 2 year old some in the Crate & Barrel catalog last night. I'll have to make these for her!

BellaLovesPink said...

YUM! Too cute. And I love the new blog!

pinkstripes said...

I love these! I've been thinking about making mini-caramel apples using the miniature sized apples they now sell in grocery stores, but these are smaller and cuter!

Alicia said...

These are adorable. I never make caramel apples because of the size, but I might have to try these.

noble pig said...

Okay these are adorable, love the mini idea, I have to make these.

CookiePie said...

What a fabulous idea, they're so adorable, and they sound so delicious! Apples and pb chips... yum...

SUGAR BETTY said...

Too darn cute. Please adopt me!

Flourchild said...

Fall is my favorite time of year too. I love your little apple treats..they look so cute. Your girls are lovely! Thanks for the recipe.

Prudence said...

Thank you guys for ALL of your wonderful comments! I really appreciate it!!

Denise Clarke said...

WOW! What great work you do and they look so yummy ... lol!

Denise
http://WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com

Joanna said...

i love these things! your kids are so lucky to have a mom like you. these looks like a lot of fun to make.

akeorlando said...

These things look awesome! I have never seen mini-apples. I almost want to make these for my company's Halloween party this coming Friday!

Thanks for the post.