20 October 2008

Sugary Halloween Picks





Halloween is right around the corner! I can't wait! We are all excited...


I have been so inspired by the GREAT blogs I have been reading with really cool Halloween ideas. So, I thought I would join in on the fun and create something really EASY, (there I go again) and a fun activity to do as a family.


Check out my Sugared Fondant Halloween Picks! EASY, guys. I swear!


Along with these basic supplies: small paintbrush, rolling pin, work mat & Styrofoam, you'll need:
  • 5oz. - Fondant, found at cake supply stores, in white or pre-colored
  • Mini cookie cutters in Halloween shapes
  • Colored sanding sugar
  • Toothpick or short bamboo skewers
  • Lemon extract or vodka (do not use water)
  • Kids (optional..)

Prepare your mat with cornstarch. Roll out fondant to 1/4" or desired thickness.

Prepare your cutter with cornstarch to prevent sticking. Cut out desired shapes in the rolled fondant.

Set aside fondant shapes to dry. Give it a good 30 minutes.

Stick toothpicks into dry fondant and set into Styrofoam to hold.

Pour lemon extract or vodka into a small bowl. If using vodka, please refrain from taking a shot! Do not use water. It takes a while to dry and will soften your fondant shapes. Using your paintbrush, paint a thin layer of the lemon or vodka onto your shapes. While wet, sprinkle on your sanding sugar. Set back into Styrofoam to dry. You can also make little eyes with royal icing or from small balls of fondant.

It's that SIMPLE, peeps. You can have the kiddies have fun cutting out the shapes and pouring on the sugar!

Have fun!!

post signature

21 comments:

Bridgett said...

Those are darling! I like the "kids optional" part of the recipe, but in my house they wouldn't listen to that part of the recipe and would have to be given some task or another. I bet you had fun doing these!

Jenny said...

Hi Prudence,
Just found your blog and am so glad I did. Your work is beautiful! I look forward to visiting often!

Jodie said...

These are SO cute! I love the cupcake with the green frosting and purple sugar. I'm supposed to make dessert for a Halloween party- maybe I'll do these cute cupcakes!

cakewardrobe said...

I love the colorful new look of your site! These cupcakes are darling! (even though its for halloween) I'm going to have to come up with something Halloween-y as well!

Lisa said...

I just found your blog. It is great! I love all your ideas. I will be visiting frequently.

SUGAR BETTY said...

Cute much? OMG! You are giving me some ideas for next week's orders. Thanks! :)

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Prudence, I so love your blog. Your baking is a work of art. Please come by my blog and pick up an award I have for you. Hugs.

Peggy said...

I love those picks! They look hard to make though. Did you skip out on the pumpkin muffins this week? I loved those. Your photos are so pretty and Halloween is one of my favorite times of the year!
Spoooooky........

Fratzels said...

Oh my word!!! These are so cute. I found your blog at Eight Crazy. It looks fab and I can't wait to keep coming back.

Anne said...

Those are beautiful- I love the shapes and colors. Great job!

Janiece said...

How darn cute!!!
You make it look pretty darn easy!

Leslie said...

Love em..they are as cute as can be!

HoneyB said...

Absolutely adorable!! I may have to try this SOON! :)

akeorlando said...

I would be all over those cupcakes the moment they were done! They look delish!

Amanda said...

These are so cool! I am adding you to my blogroll :)

Carmen said...

wonderful blog compliments

The Stressed Baker said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I am so glad you did because I just love yours and you make the fondant look so easy and you have some wonderful ideas!! I will definetly be back!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Prudence, I still love your cupcakes. They are so cool. Please come by my blog. I've roped you into a quick and easy food challenge.

HoneyB said...

I love your fondant shapes! I will definitely have to give fondant a try myself!

Maria said...

Wow so many fun things going on. I love them all!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

I love these! Thanks for the step by step instructions. I may cheat and sample the vodak though ;D