28 October 2008

TWD: Chocolate Chocolate Spider Web Cuppies


It's Tuesday again, my friends, Tuesdays With Dorie. And "Pru The Baker" is here with this week's kick booty Chocolate Chocolate Cupcakes, chosen by Clara from I*heart*Food4Thought on pages 215-217. And in the spirit of ALL things Halloween, I had to put a little, easy breezy spin on them!

I ate one of these puppies when they were HOT, right out of the oven. One word: *YUM*

I even found myself slathering on some extra ganache. I am a BAD girl!

To add my little twisty web and accompanying spider friend, it is EXTREMELY simple.

Get yourself some candy melts from your local cake supply or craft store, along with disposable decorating bags. You can typically buy them both in the same place...

Place the wafers into the bags and melt in the microwave according to the package directions. I nuke mine for 30 seconds, then give them a lovely massage to squish them all together.

When melted to a nice, smooth texture, cut of the tip of the bag. Don't go crazy! Just the tippy tip!!

Take your beautiful ganache cupcake....

Make a squiggly circle.... (Perfection is NOT necessary....)

Get a toothpick, not the one from dinner...

And PULL people, PULL!! Right from the center of the cupcake to the edge.

Tah Dah! Spider web done!

Now, for the spider.....

Use the same wafers and melt like above and cut off the tip.

On a parchment lined cookie sheet, draw little spiders by filling in the body and pulling out lines for the legs. Again, they DO NOT have to be perfect. They will actually be pretty ugly.....

When you are done drawing your heart out, stick them in the fridge for a couple of minutes to harden up.

Flip over your spider and place them in compromising positions on your cupcake. (Adults only!!)

That's it!!!!

"Thing 2" and "Thing 3" gave them a huge "thumbs up"! They ate all of the left over spiders too!!

As always, check out of the TWD Bakers and their FAB creations!!

post signature

25 comments:

n.o.e said...

Pru, those are some seriously beautiful spiderwebs. (prettier than any I've found around the house!) Thanks for the tutorial. Glad these were a hit with everyone at your house. Your girls are absolutely precious.
Nancy

Rebecca said...

Thanks for showing how to do the spiderwebs! I've never tried them.

SUGAR BETTY said...

Prudence, seriously, you should jump on the Angelina Jolie bandwagon and adopt a Vietnamese! I am Vietnamese! COME ON! Your kids would love me. Those spider cupcakes are the bomb. Your ganache frosting is nice and shiny. Me likey! Happy Halloween to you all!

SUGAR BETTY said...

You know I will always beg you to adopt me on every post. Be forewarned now! You are the best blogger mom. xoxo.

Snooky doodle said...

wow these look so nice. And your daughters look more than happy :-) How cute!!! Pity candy melts are not available here. Perhaps i ll try with white chocolate but sometimes it gets lumpy. Anyway, thanks for the great tip.

Danielle said...

I am new with TWD and I made a few spider webs on my cakes also it was fun and super easy! I didnt think of using melted white chocolate I just used some *shush dont tell anyone* store bought cookie icing. Next time I will have to try white chocolate!

Teanna said...

Thanks for the tip on how to make the spiderwebs! I never knew how to do it before, and that seems pretty dead on! They look fantastic!

The Stressed Baker said...

Wow! Those look great and who knew it could be so easy!! Thank you!! My mom hates to bake so when i was little we used to make chocolate lollipops etc so I know all about those chocolate wafers and I never thought about using them for cupcakes!!

Engineer Baker said...

Nice process photos - your spiderwebs turned out perfectly!

Leslie said...

Great tutorial on making the spiderwebs. Your girls are too cute for words!

Tammy said...

wow they look great and I love the new look!

Bridgett said...

You make the webbing look super easy and they turned out darling! I am definitely going to give it a try next time.

Cakebrain said...

I just love those candy melts! they're so useful! I like the spider idea but I don't think my little girls would ever eat them! it would scare the bejeebers out of them!

Cakebrain said...

I just love those candy melts! they're so useful! I like the spider idea but I don't think my little girls would ever eat them! it would scare the bejeebers out of them!

Prudy said...

My webs never come out that perfect. I'll have to try again after your tutorial. They are adorable and those two little cupcake eaters are real cutie pies too.

Gloria Chadwick said...

I love the idea of making your own chocolate spiders to top the cupcakes. I think most people would just put plastic ones on top for decoration -- which aren't edible. Kudos to you!

Cakespy said...

Awesome!!! I love the spiders too. They look delicious!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Prudence...YUM. There is absolutely NOTHING bad about eating extra ganache. Waste not want not, that's what I alwys say. Your cuppie cakes are divine. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. Have a great weekend with Thing one and Thing two.

hot garlic said...

So THAT'S how they do it! It looks so easy now that I've seen it done!

What an ADORABLE blog! Everything looks great! Thanks for stopping by mine!

Lisa magicsprinkles said...

Thing 2 and Thing 3 are two very lucky thinglets to have a mom like you let them eat all the spiders! ;)
Bootiful designs & your ganache is soooo shiny!

pinkstripes said...

OMG...I love your cupcakes. They look so gorgeous--but now that you told us how to make them the secret is out! Even a non-creative person like me can make them. :P

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

I <3 <3 <3 the layout!!!

And cupcakes are SOO good right out of the oven! Mine are lucky they ever meet frosting! Hahaha :D

CB said...

Perfect spiderwebs! Glad you and your "taste-testers" enjoyed the cupcakes! Thanks for baking with me!
Clara @ iheartfood4thought

Mevrouw Cupcake said...

I wish I'd had time to have a bit of fun with my cupcakes, as far as decorations go! Yours look fab!

Melinda said...

I did a cake like this
see the link on the top of my blog for the site