06 October 2008

Vintage Halloween Postcard Cookies

As I have said in my previous post, I am really, super cranked up for Halloween this year. Can you tell? I was surfing the web, visiting my favorite sites, when I stumbled across Fancy Flours, a web site devoted to all things baking. It is a bakers heaven, to say the least. Of all of the fantastic items they carry, they sell edible wafer paper, printed in various holiday designs. That was it! I decided to give these a try and make my own designs. (**See message at the end of the post!!) A few months ago, I purchased an edible printer. You can do SO many cool things with it! I found some great designs online that I printed on my edible paper OR frosting sheets, very similar to the wafer paper. I also found this GREAT recipe for sugar cookies on Cake Central. This dough holds its shape very well and doesn't spread when baking.


"No Fail" Sugar Cookie Recipe:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 tsp. pure vanilla extract

1 tsp. pure almond

3 cups flour

1/2 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. salt

  1. Heat oven to 350 degrees (for at least 1/2 hour)
  2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
  3. Add eggs and vanilla mixing well.
  4. Mix dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture.
  5. Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together. (It will be pretty stiff!)
  6. Bake on ungreased baking sheet at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until just beginning to turn brown around the edges.
  7. Take the freshly made dough and place it between two sheets of parchment paper.
  8. Roll it out to the desired thickness then place the dough and paper on a cookie sheet and pop it into the refrigerator to chill, approximately 1 hour.
  9. When dough is chilled, cut 3.5" x 5.5" rectangles with a cutter. (I cut my cookies by hand since they were an irregular size.)
  10. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges just start to brown.


Now the fun part, decorating!! Make a batch of Royal Icing. You will need two batches: 1 very thin and 1 medium.

Royal Icing Recipe: Recipe makes 3 cups.

3 TBSP. Meringue Powder

1 pound (4 cups) confectioners' sugar

6 tablespoons warm water (*See note!!)

Beat all ingredients until icing forms peaks (7-10 minutes at low speed with a heavy-duty mixer, 10-12 minutes at high speed with a hand-held mixer).
*PLEASE NOTE: For stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.
When using large countertop mixer or for stiffer icing, use 1 tablespoon less water.
Use grease-free spoon or spatula to stir slowly. Add ½ teaspoon water at a time until you reach proper consistency.

How to decorate: Place edible paper in the freezer to stiffen. Thin out royal icing in a small bowl until it has a bit of a watery consistency. Then in a separate bowl, color medium consistency royal icing, as desired, with gel color (found at cake decorating supply stores). Fill the colored royal icing into a pastry bag fitted with a #5 tip. "Paint" thin consistency royal icing onto the cookie with a paintbrush. Cut postcards out of the edible paper, peel and stick onto cookie. Using your pastry bag at a 45 degree angle, pipe a line around the outline of the edible paper postcard. Sprinkle sanded sugar immediately onto the cookie.

I know, it SEEMS like a lot of work. BUT, it is worth it. You can also use a small can of premade icing instead of the royal icing.

(**BTW: Just wanted to clarify... I printed out my own designs I found online with my edible printer. If you do NOT own one of these GREAT items, stop by Fancy Flours and purchase the wafer paper they carry. To read more about edible printer and edible paper, stop by KopyKake! Thanks Nancy!!)

Enjoy!!

Miss P

13 comments:

Nichi said...

Those are super cute! Where did you get the images? I would love to do those for a few friends if I find the time this month!

Nichi said...

Oh duh would help if I read your post (instead of just looking at the purdy pictures) before asking you a question you answered within the post!

~Kimberly said...

How fun are those! Awesome! Great find! I make Halloween cupcake wrappers...check them out if you'd like!
http://www.yummycuppycrafts.etsy.com

Janiece said...

I love these!
I think they would make awesome B-day cards too.

Snooky doodle said...

these look really nice. They re original :) great job

Jodie said...

How fun! I've always wanted an edible-paper printer. They make such cute decorations!

Leslie said...

Those are GREAT! I love the vintage feel!

Leslie said...

Thanks a bunch for your comment on my Cherry Squares!

Cakespy said...

These are amazing!! It does indeed look like a lot of work but I can only imagine the responses!!

BellaLovesPink said...

Those are SO cute! I wouldn't have wanted to eat any of them.

I may need to invest in the tools to create edible images.

Nicely done!

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

This is my first time on your blog. I found you through the foodie blogroll. I love it. These cookies are sooo cute. Wonderful job. I'll have to look into these edible transfer sheets. Makes everything so unique. Thanks for the great post.

Sherry Trifle - Lovely Cats said...

They are gorgeous biscotti! Umm..with white chocolate too. I agree with you about how easy they are.

SUGAR BETTY said...

Wow, aren't we fancy schmancy? Love it!!!!