11 November 2008

TWD: Florida Pie Rewind

Hey Gang! Hope everyone is enjoying life to the fullest! I have been SO busy. SO knee deep in fondant that I truly can't find the end of this sugary tunnel. I have had a serious flurry of cake orders: a doggie birthday cake, black belt graduation, my signature "cheese" cake, bridal shower AND my daughter's 5-tier Fancy Nancy monster for this weekend. (Help, I'm drowning.... *Gurgle*) AND, to my surprise, the Seminole Chronicle came out to interview me regarding my cakes yesterday! How exciting!!

So, here it is, folks. An old post, I know. Please forgive me. I promise, I will be back next week. However, this week's selection of Kugelhopf, located on pages 61-63. was chosen by Yolanda of The All-Purpose Girl. What is kugelhopf, you ask?? Beats me. I know it needed a dough hook which scared ME half to death. I'm sure it was easy as pie! Hee, hee...
Florida Pie happen to be my very first first post for Tuesday's With Dorie. Hope you enjoy!!

A new day, a new challenge! I just joined Tuesdays With Dorie , a great group of bloggers that LOVE to bake. All of the members are given a recipe from the book, "Baking, From My Home To Yours", by Dorie Greenspan. This week selection, Florida Pie, was chosen from fellow blogger, Dianne's Dishes. I have to say, I was a bit concerned with pie selection. I think I didn't realize exactly WHAT I was getting my self into. PIES? Oh boy...



Hey, you guys know I like a challenge!! Bring it on and a bag of chips! Or something like that! I got over the fear quickly and was excited. I live in Florida... Could this be a coincidence? Or did I just step into the Twilight Zone of baking? I am a true Jersey girl and never was daring enough to actually try Key Lime Pies, until now. NOW, I had no choice. And I don't give up easily.


What the H***!! NO graham cracker crust after Mother's Day?? Can you believe it? Did every one make a cheesecake last weekend or what?? I was surprised. I had to use a store bought pie crust, which I brushed with egg whites and baked at 350 degrees for 5 minutes, to harden the crust. I also substituted whipped cream instead of the meringue and toasted the coconut for the top, which totally brought out the flavor. I also could help myself, making a cake-ish sort of thing without busting out the pastry bag and tyring to make it look nice nice.



My hubby and I absolutely loved this pie. It came out SO good. The sweetness of the coconut kicks the tangy flavor down just enough. Yummy!! And EASY as pie, no pun intended.



Feel like having a stab at it? Please visit Dianne's Dishes.

Happy cakin', kids!!


post signature

13 comments:

Jodie said...

FIVE tiers? I better not tell my daughter. Her birthday's coming up, too, but she just might have to be happy with two tiers! :) Can't WAIT to see the cakes! And congrats on the interview!

SUGAR B said...

Prudence, I want that pie! Please hand it over and no one will get hurt.

Bridgett said...

That pie would not last long about my husband and kids. Looks divine!

Snooky doodle said...

the pie looks so delicious. Good luck with the cake orders :)

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Well, Prudence, you did it again. Another wonderful creation and work of art in baking. Pie is good. I'm convinced that pie (like chocolate)is a necessity in life. And I need this pie! Have a great weekend. Try not to work too hard.

Dianne said...

Glad you liked it! I was pleased with how it turned out too! :)

Fran Z said...

You pie looks so lovely- I wanna dig right in! I have Dorie's wonderful book but not enough time! My daughter will be home for TGiving and has asked for something Key Limey! Ding Ding Ding- I think we have a winner! Thanks Prudence!!!!

chocolatechic said...

Wow!


You really didn't miss anything with the rice pudding.

Teresa Cordero Cordell said...

Miss Prudence, I bet this is a busy time of the year for you. Can you blame anyone? Your creations are so fantastic, everyone wants a piece of you and your cake! When you get a chance, stop by my chocolate blog, I have an award for you.

SUGAR B said...

Prudence, please check out my blog. There is an award waiting for to be claimed. :)

Anamika:The Sugarcrafter said...

dear prudence
.every time i come to your blog..i simply loved yopur creativity, perseverence and newer thoughts...
i loved your experiment with the pie...brillian..you know food like music and can tune it any shape..wow.

Libby said...

Yummy! Reminds me of lots of visits to FL.

How To Eat A Cupcake said...

Holy cow! That looks good!

I was in Wal-mart a few days ago and they were completely out of powdered sugar! How do they let that stuff happen???